Happenings at South Elementary School
Forms & Flyers
South Elementary School News
September 28 - October 2 - Spirit week, see poster below for dress up days
Monday, Oct. 26 - School Pictures 8:10am-12:00pm
Friday, Oct. 30 - School Pictures 8:10am-12:00pm
Use the WFPS website to find a complete calendar of school days.
WFPS Elementary Attendance in the Hybrid Learning Model
- Student “Synchronous” On-Site Attendance: Taken by school for the 2 days the student is in school. Please follow standard protocol and call the office to report any absence and reason why.
- Student “Asynchronous” Off-Site Attendance: Taken once a week and recorded on Wednesday. Attendance is based on the student making a “reasonable” attempt to complete the off-site assigned work.
- What is determined a “reasonable” attempt will be at the professional discretion of the teacher.
- Class meetings taking place on Wednesdays are encouraged for all students but will not be considered for attendance purposes. Teachers will record these meetings to be viewed later if students are unable to attend online through Microsoft Teams at the designated time.
Next week Monday, Sept. 28 - Friday, Oct. 2
Scherling Photography will be at South Elementary to take school pictures on Monday, Oct. 26 for Cohort A and Friday, Oct. 30 for Cohort B. All students will receive an order packet to bring home before October 20. They will be taking pictures from 8:10am - 12:00pm. Packets need to be filled out completely, prepaid and returned to the school before your picture day. * Because of Covid 19 restrictions there will not be any retake day.
The USDA has announced a new waiver that will allow WFPS to serve FREE MEALS TO ALL STUDENTS through December 2020. This waiver applies to every student, every day (onsite learning days, offsite learning days, and Virtual Program participants). The waiver takes effect immediately. Funds that have been placed in your student’s account will remain there for use starting in January 2021 once the waiver expires.
The WFPS Food Service Department and district is excited for this opportunity to provide free meals to our students and support our families during the pandemic.
- Students who bring cold lunch have the option to purchase a carton of milk at lunchtime. A carton is $ .40, please make sure you have money in your student's meal account before that school day. The USDA grant DOES NOT pay for a milk carton purchase at lunch, it must be a full meal.
Students who eat nutritious, balanced diets are better prepared to learn and succeed in school. The food service department at West Fargo Public Schools supports learning by providing access to healthy, affordable meals to students in each school building. Meals are designed to provide variety and assist in developing life-long healthy eating habits.
All menus meet or exceed USDA guidelines, with age-appropriate meal patterns based on the U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Meals are prepared and served in compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
Meals at Home
- Through completion of an online form, parents can preorder meals for the three days per week their student is online learning. These forms will be due each Wednesday by 12:00PM for the students in the Monday-Tuesday group and each Monday by 12:00PM for the students in the Thursday-Friday group. The box will contain three breakfasts and three lunches; no partial orders are accepted.
- Students that are participating in the Virtual Program still have access to the district’s food service program. Parents can preorder a weekly meal box by completing an online form each Thursday by 12:00PM. The box will contain five breakfasts and five lunches; partial orders will not be accepted. Weekend backpack program bags will also be available for pickup at the same time as the meal box.
- Please complete the preorder form for the appropriate cohort or virtual student on the WFPS site. Be sure to check the deadline day and time so your student will have meals to bring home.
Milk Fees for Morning Snack Break
The cost of the elementary milk fee is $9.00 per trimester which will cover 2 days per week under the new instructional plan. Below are the dates each trimester runs as well as the dates each trimester milk fee will become available on the MySchoolBucks site, you go to the School Fees section. (The district will not be allowing prepayment for the second and third trimester at this time.)
Trimester 1 Start of School through November 24th (Currently Available on MySchoolBucks)
Trimester 2 November 25th through February 26th (Available on MySchoolBucks November 1st)
Trimester 3 February 27th through the Last day of School (Available on MySchoolBucks February 1st)
West Fargo Public Schools uses MySchoolBucks (an online payment system) to allow parents to make deposits into their child’s meal account as well as allowing them to pay their child’s school fees online.
New last school year was the ability to pay school fees on the MySchoolBucks mobile app!
You will use the same login for making lunch money deposits and for paying school fees. If you currently have an account, you will see the store for the fees option in addition to the store for meal payments. If you have not used MySchoolBucks in the past, please follow the instructions on the attached document to create a new account.
Students have all been given a form that they should have brought home for parents to sign so they can receive an ipad to use during hybrid learning. Thank you to the families who have already returned the form. If you haven't had a chance to send it back yet be sure to sign the bottom, date and print your parent name before you return it. We will mark on the sheet what items we are sending home with each student. If you didn't get a form from your student you can contact your classroom teacher through email or seesaw or email the office.
PARENTS RIGHT TO KNOW
Through federal education law, parents have the right to request information on the professional qualification of the teachers and paraprofessionals at our schools.
If you are interested in learning this information, please contact the school administration office at (701) 356-2100.
Upon this request, you will receive a detailed explanation of the licensing, education and experience of each of our teachers. You will also receive information regarding the names and qualifications of the paraprofessionals at our schools.
South Elementary is recognized as a schoolwide Title I school. Every year, the administration and staff review the school’s data to determine a schoolwide focus. We then set goals and activities for the upcoming school year. All information is compiled and considered for review and used to make informed decisions that are best for South students. These plans are laid out in continuous improvement goals that South Elementary staff will work on throughout the upcoming school year. Information is collected from various sources including, but not limited to, parent, staff and student surveys, demographic data, achievement data, program data and perception data. The following goals are our focus for the 20-21 school year.
See more Title I information in these two links
Our school accepts donations of the following items:
Pants sizes: 5, 6, 7 and 8 boys and girls
Atheletic tennis shoes, boys and girls: sizes 13, 1, 1.5, 2 or 2.5
Insulated waterproof gloves for winter
Remember South Elementary PTA collects Family Fare receipts, you can send them to school with your student.
Also, use the Box Tops app to scan your receipts for South Elmentary to earn money for the classrooms.